Molds are quite common and will grow in any building where there is moisture present, including your home. The most common types of mold found in homes are the Penicillium, Alternaria, Cladosporium, and Aspergillus. The most troubling mold however is the Stachybotrys chartarum, which is also known as toxic black mold. There is no precise information available regarding the frequency of this mold in homes, and while it is not as common as the other 4 molds mentioned, it is also not rare. It causes black mold toxic symptoms though, and should therefore be taken very seriously by every homeowner.
In truth, the term black toxic mold is not completely accurate. The Stachybotrys mold itself is harmless, however it produces a mycotoxin that is harmful to humans. While there are always molds present in the home, the toxins produced by black mold should be considered especially concerning. There have been reports that black mold toxic symptoms can include pulmonary hemorrhages, memory loss, and cancer of the liver and lungs. These reports are rare, but we believe in the axiom that it is better to be safe than sorry.
The Institute of Medicine determined in 2004 that there was enough evidence to link exposure to black mold with coughing and wheezing in otherwise healthy individuals, upper respiratory infections, and asthma symptoms in those with asthma. In addition, they found that people who have weak or compromised immune systems are susceptible to contracting infections when exposed to toxic black mold and that there appears to be a link between respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children when they are exposed to indoor black mold.
Furthermore, in 2009 the World Health Organization released guidelines regarding air quality in the home in respect to molds. Several other research studies have linked the development of asthma in children with black mold exposure, especially among children who have a genetic predisposition to asthma. It was also found that by ridding the house of black mold the incidence of asthma and respiratory ailments declines.
All of this suggests that mold contamination within the home should be taken seriously, especially in the case of toxic black mold. Common mold toxic symptoms include hay fever like symptoms, constant respiratory and sinus problems, and even difficulty breathing. Those who have weak or compromised immune function are particularly at risk; this includes the elderly and small children. If you or your family members have any similar symptoms a qualified technician should investigate your home for the presence of toxic black mold. Mold prevention techniques should also be used to avoid a mold problem.