Wherever there is a constant source of moisture you are likely to find mold growing. In the home, it can commonly be found in attics and basements, near the refrigerator, in bathrooms, and anywhere water is found. There are hundreds of thousands of mold species, but not all are dangerous to humans.
In truth, mold itself is not toxic. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention call molds such as black mold toxigenic. This means that the mold is capable of producing toxic substances. It is the spores of the mold that produce these toxic substances, known as mycotoxins. Studies are continuing into black mold toxicity as not much is currently known about the mycotoxins produced by mold spores.
While the CDC goes on to state that the deadly effects of mycotoxins have not been proven by research, there are plenty of instances where the presence of black mold has been linked to upper respiratory problems and allergy symptoms. This indicates that black mold can make people sick at the very least.
Black Mold Rumors
There are many disturbing rumors concerning black mold, such as the possibility of memory loss, lung hemorrhaging and even death in some people. One rumor that is false is that black mold is not dangerous unless you disturb it. This rumor is of concern because while it is true that a mold will release a huge amount of spores when disturbed, even undisturbed black mold releases spores on a regular basis. These spores are responsible for creating the mycotoxins that can make you sick.
This means if there is mold in your home, there will be spores in the air as well. No matter how much mold or where it is located, you should rid your home of mold if you dont want to suffer negative effects. When removing mold you must be very cautious as well, since disturbing the mold can release large numbers of spores which will create new mold colonies throughout your home. In general, if you have an area of mold larger than 10 feet you should hire a professional mold removal firm to take care of the problem.
Black Mold Removal and Prevention
Black mold may not be proven to be deadly, but it can make you sick, and for that reason extreme care must be taken when removing a mold infestation. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has released guidelines for mold removal in the home, which any professional mold removal expert will be familiar with and follow.
Though you can clean the mold infestation yourself, it is generally not recommend because of the dangers of spreading the mold. Once the mold has been removed, you can prevent further problems by fixing leaks, using dehumidifiers, and by cleaning and drying any areas with moisture.