If you plan on using oil to heat your home and water supply, then you will need to know a little bit about the logistics of using a home oil tank. Depending on your needs, certain oil tank sizes manufacturers will make more sense for you. Choosing the right capacity will help you to make sure that you can meet your heating needs without unnecessary inefficiency or waste. In addition, buying a high quality product with a high environmental rating will prevent future problems. Here are a few things you should know as you get started.
1. While the use of underground oil tanks was common in the past, it is not currently recommended. This is because of the risk of leaks which will lead to future expense and hassles. In this article we will deal specifically with standard above ground tanks.
2. Oil tank sizes are ranked by oil tank capacities. While there are all sizes of tanks from 50 to 10,000 gallons, the most common residential oil tank sizes are 275 or 330 gallon capacity tanks. Obviously, the larger tank will cost a bit more to fill, but will require refilling less often. It is generally a good idea to invest in a double wall heating oil tank if possible. These are designed to prevent leaking by utilizing a plastic interior wall as well as a steel exterior. Normal capacities for tanks of this type are 160, 275, and 400 gallons.
3. If you are not sure of your tank’s capacity, it is easy to find a convenient oil tank sizes calculator online. You will just need to measure the diameter of the tank and its length and plug in the figures.
4. Depending on your country or region, tank capacities may vary. You will want to consult a regional specialist for the local standards of oil tank sizes for home heating oil.
5. When purchasing and installing a new tank, it is generally best to buy from a manufacturer recognized for quality. Many manufacturers offer substantial warranties. Before you go shopping, decide if a vertical or horizontal tank makes the most sense for your situation. It is also a good policy to buy a tank with a high safety rating. This will help you to avoid future problems and expenses.
Like any other component in your home, it is recommended you buy the best product you can afford. Not only will this insure long life and trouble-free maintenance, it can be beneficial for the resale value of your home. Furthermore, when it comes to oil tanks, a quality product will provide a safer and cleaner home environment. A leaking fuel oil tank will require fast (and usually expensive) action. The best prevention is a smart initial investment. For best results, it is highly recommended that you hire the services of a professional company like Anco Environmental Services. They have the experience and expertise to guide the process from start to finish. This will insure that you get the correct tank for your needs, that it is installed properly, and that optimum efficiency is achieved.