Mold is common in areas where there is high humidity and levels of moisture, especially when the temperature is moderate. This type of environment provides an ideal atmosphere for the growth of mold on wood, furniture, walls, concrete and many other surfaces. Many molds are benign; however there is one type of black mold which is highly toxic. If you have black mold in your home you need to learn more about toxic black mold symptoms to protect yourself and your family.
The black mold Stachybotrys chartarum is well known for releasing mycotoxins that are dangerous to humans. Once these mycotoxins are inhaled or otherwise ingested there are a large variety of nasty symptoms that can develop. It is most common to see these mold related symptoms in those with compromised or weak immune systems, but they can happen in healthy individuals as well. The elderly, infants, and people with respiratory diseases are the most prone to developing toxic black mold symptoms.
Because these toxic black mold symptoms are similar to the symptoms of other diseases, most people never make the connection between the black mold and their illness. In addition, if your physician is unaware of the presence of black mold in your home he or she may not even consider toxic black mold poisoning as a diagnoses. Some of the most common toxic black mold symptoms are given below:
– The most common symptom experienced from exposure to black mold mycotoxins is chronic sinusitis. This can be seen as a constant runny nose, sinus drainage, sinus headaches, and sinus cough.
– Other common symptoms include dry, burning and itchy eyes, skin rashes, and chronic headaches.
– Difficulty in breathing is a common occurrence in black mold toxicity, as are nausea and dizziness or a lack of ability to concentrate.
There are also a large number of less common symptoms such as digestion problems, urinary tract infections, irregular blood pressure and even infertility has been known to be caused by black mold mycotoxins. Many respiratory and even neurological changes can be attributed to the presence of black mold in your home. If you are experiencing any type of abnormal symptoms you should consult your doctor and immediately have any black mold cleaned from your home.
There are several ways you can help disperse the air borne mold spores. Exhaust fans will move spore infested air outside your home. Air conditioning and dehumidifiers will help discourage the growth of the mold as well as filtering spores from the air. The best solution though is to have the mold cleaned and then have the surfaces painted by a professional with special moisture resistant paints that discourage the return of the black mold.